Old Family Stew Cook-Off
Saturday, September 23
Delta Heritage Center, Brownsville TN
Entry Fee $20
Set-up begins at 6:30 a.m.
Judging at 12 Noon
Deadline to Enter: September 1, 2017
Rules and Regulations
- All Stew MUST be prepared on site and ready by 11:30 a.m. (Individual ingredients may be prepared off site) Set-up can begin at 6:30 a.m. Event occurs rain or shine.
- A minimum of 10 gallons must be prepared, all in ONE pot. You are responsible for the sale of the stew you cook. All stew sales must benefit a non-profit, church, school, or other charitable or civic organization of your choice.
- No Stew is allowed to be sold /served before 11:30 a.m.
- You must supply all ingredients and necessary equipment, such as pots, gas, tent, tables, quart containers, napkins, condiments, servers and equipment to serve stew, etc. The 12 oz. bowls and 4 oz. cups and spoons will be provided. Each team is responsible for its own quart containers.
- All stew will be sold for; $3 per 12 oz. bowl, $1 per 4oz. cup. Quart and gallon price is determined by the individual stew teams.
- All participates will be allowed to sell can soft drinks and bottle water for $1.00 per can/bottle.
- Exact location of your cooking booth will be determined on Saturday, September 23, 2017, at check-in, on a first come, first serve basis.
- Three awards will be given: 1st place - Trophy and title of "Stewmaster"; 2nd and 3rd place will be recognized with a plaque.
- No Alcoholic beverages allowed on premises
- Booth spaces are approx. 20’ X 20’. You can have one vehicle behind your space. Other vehicles need to be parked in the parking lot by 9 a.m.
- Judging will begin at 11:30 a.m. Winners will be announced at 1 p.m.
Judging Criteria and Standards
Just as there is no limits to what is, may be, or has been called a Stew, the number of concoctions is as great as the number of “Stewmasters” who stir the pot.
Judging, however, will be based on the following characteristics of a Brunswick Stew:
- Ingredients: Chicken and/or Beef, potatoes, corn and tomatoes or any combination of these may be used.
- Taste: Should have fullness and earthiness, be somewhat spicy and with a touch of sweetness. Off flavors such as salty, sour, bitter, overly herbal, vinegary, extremely sweet and over-peppered tastes should be avoided.
- Texture: Should be able to be eaten with a fork or spoon. Stew should not be runny, soupy, or extremely thick.
- Visual appeal: Should have good, bright colors; not dull or grey. Color may vary from white and creamy to deep red with colors.
Judging is conducted as a blind taste test and one pint of stew will be gathered for this purpose. Each entry will be judged on the following 5-point scale for taste, texture, appearance and overall quality:
- Does not meet standards
- Meet some standards
- Meet all standards
- Meet standards with highlights
- Exceeds standards
The winner will be the stew with the highest score. The decision of the judges is final. The winner will be awarded the 1st Place Trophy and the title of " Stewmaster." Second and third place winners will be awarded a plaque noting their achievement and designation.
Download an Entry Form (pdf)
or enter online below